Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Bakery Tour: NYC Winter 2010

The shiniest holiday cheer.

Normally, I spend my days off sleeping and shuffling around like a zombie, but today I went to New York. Yes, there are museums and parks and all that good stuff, but I came to eat. Planning a bakery excursion is like Halloween for a semi-adult such as myself. The run-down:
Featured (Clockwise): Raspberry Bomboloncini and Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookie (Levain), Hazelnut Choc-o-Lait Sticks and Dolfin Chocolate Assortment (Chelsea Market Basket), Oatmeal Raisin Cookie (Sarabeth's Kitchen). Not Featured: Apple Turnover, Chocolate Chip Cookies (Sarabeth's)

Yup, just like Halloween, only I got to keep all my treats and my parents didn't give any of it to childless co-workers. The haul was glorious. I've never heard of "bomboloncini," but according to Levain'swebsite, it's a baked jelly doughnut. Is there a downside. No? No, no. Nom, nom. Yeasted dough is great to work with and once I figure out how to get jam inside it, I'll attempt these bombowhatevers.

Bombomathing.
Apparently, Levain started with a recipe for the perfect chocolate chip cookie and has been using it ever since. Personally, I don't like chocolate chip cookies for the same reason I am picky about cupcakes: too many people think it is about the sugary candy-like part and not the cake part. This cookie is teeming with chocolate chunks (I'm pretty sure they crammed two or three layers of chocolate in mine), but it is so delicious. It has everything I'm looking for when I want something special. So. Delicious. If time and effort gets that, it might be worth it to figure out my own perfect cookie recipe.

And Sarabeth's, where have you been all my life (aside from the jars of preserves I seem to have been using in my rugelach for the past 4 months)? I ate everything I bought there within the half hour and not just because I like eating. I'll leave it at that, except if anyone wants to get me the book "From My Hands to Yours," I could get behind that.

The chocolate I have yet to sample, but I've had everything else on the table and then some, including a falafel  from Chelsea Market, so cut me some slack.

No comments:

Post a Comment