Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Ideas in Food: A Book Report


I've never read Ideas in Food in blog form, opting instead to wait for the book and I'm glad I did. Instead of slogging through the extensive archives, this book lets me benefit from their distilled knowledge. The result : the concentrated passion and daring of two people who just love food. Authors Aki Kamozawa and H. Alexander Talbot joyfully describe the evolving nature of cooking for both enthusiastic home cooks and the seasoned professionals. I equally enjoyed their anecdotes and the in-depth food science explanations. This combination creates this incredible energy that compels you to the kitchen to perform your own experiments. Roasted pasta? I've got to try that.

The authors are obviously very advanced and occasionally the tone is one of a professor who skips steps to avoid confusing students, which irks me but the extra detail probably would just confuse me. Also, I will probably avoid the BBQ rigatoni and grilled potato ice cream recipes, but these bizarre combinations only underscore the fearlessness required in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment