Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Rugelach


They know I'm talking about them.
This is my absolute all time favorite recipe in the whole of ever. During the year, they're cookies; during Lent, when I've given up cookies, they are pastries. That is how much I love rugelach. I use a modified version of Dorie Greenspan's recipe that comes out perfect every time (except once at New Year's, but they were eaten anyway, so whatevs). These pastries are fruity, nutty, and buttery; everything I love in a baked good. I again enlisted the help of my little sis in exchange for helping her study for chemistry/Spanish, though I am fluent in neither. I love when she is around because I think she is learning a lot, probably more about eating than baking, but what can you do?

Rugelach!
Makes 15 servings

Dough
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup butter, soft but cool
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup cream cheese
(any of the above dairy can be swapped for light versions or even yogurt; still comes out fine)

Filling
1/4 cup your favorite jam
Finely ground walnuts or pecans

Finishing
1 egg white
Coarse sugar

1. Combine butter, cream cheese, and sour cream in a mixing bowl. Stir until all are well-mixed.
2. Add flour in thirds, thoroughly incorporating each before adding the next. You should end up with a lump of dough that doesn't stick to the bowl. If not, lift and fold the sides of the dough with a wooden spoon, "kneading" it until dough is achieved.
3. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 2 hours or up to a day.
4. Unwrap dough and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll it out to a 24x8 rectangle.
5. Spread thin layer of jam over the dough's surface. If adding nuts, sprinkle them on top of the dough, then cover with plastic wrap or parchment paper and gently press them into the dough.
6. Starting from the far side of the rectangle, roll the dough into a tube. Using a sharp knife, cut tube in pieces approx. 1.5 inches wide.  Place pieces on baking sheet covered with parchment paper, non-stick baking mats, or just greased. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
7. About 10 minutes before the rugelach are done chilling, preheat oven to 350 and prepare egg white. When they have finished chilling, take baking sheet out and brush each cookie with egg white, then sprinkle a little coarse sugar over them. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until tops are slightly browned.

When they look like they're plotting, you know they'e done.
When I finish these, I go to bed and wake up to an empty baking sheet the next day. My family has no sense of self control around them and that's fine because I'd eat them all myself. Lord, forgive me for I have nommed.

No comments:

Post a Comment